Yesterday, I attended one of my first softball games. In this match up, the Belmont Abbey Crusaders fought against Winston-Salem State. Two rallies took place. The first game ended in a 4-7 loss for the Crusaders, but redeemed themselves in the second game by shutting down Winston-Salem State 1-0.
While observing the game, I took notice of a few things that stood out for me. To begin, the cheering on both teams were very loud,rhythmic, and unified. This tactic is probably used in order to distract the opposing team and to increase their own self-confidence. Personally, I am not sure how effective this strategy is, but I enjoyed listening to the different chants and songs.
One thing I thought was most interesting about the sport was the switching of the players on base. Once a batter had hit the ball and made it to first base, another player was allowed to take her spot on base. Personally, I do not enjoy this concept of the game because it almost seems like cheating. Coaches can then can devise a blocked practice for their players and use skill refinement in order to make a player great for a certain position. A blocked practice is when all trials of a
given task are completed before moving on to the next task. Therefore, coaches can have amazing pitchers, phenomenal hitters, and fast runners simply rather than having well-rounded players. Personally, I find this unfair.
Softball is definitely an interesting sport to watch and compete in.
More to come - #5
No comments:
Post a Comment